Xerta, Baix Ebre 29 May 1955
Former President of the Parliament of Catalonia, political prisoner
The president of the Parliament of Catalonia of the eleventh legislature is a linguist and political activist who has always been committed to the freedom of Catalonia and encouraging the usage of Catalan language. She was the president of the Assemblea Nacional Catalana (Catalan National Assembly, ANC) at the time that some of the most important demonstrations of Europe were organized: the massive demonstration “Catalonia, a new state of Europe” of 2012, the human chain of 2013 and the V of 2014. In the present, since March 23, 2018, she is imprisoned by Spain for having allowed the parliamentary debate in the Parliament of Catalonia. When she had to testify before the Supreme Court and before she was imprisoned, she abandoned her seat in the Parliament of Catalonia.
- Graduate in Philosophy and Communication Studies (UAB).
- Master’s degree in Catalan Language and Literature (UAB).
- She worked for TVE Catalunya (1979-1982) (Spanish Television – Catalonia) and has collaborated with different media.
- Linguistic standardization coordinator of the Servei d’Ensenyament del Català (Catalan Teaching Service) of the Department of Education of the Government of Catalonia (1992-2004).
- Language, interculturality, and social cohesion adviser of Vallès Occidental (2004-2012).
- She was one of the promoters of the Plataforma per la Llengua (Platform for the Language).
- Member of the Plataforma Pel dret a Decidir (Platform for the right to Decide), of which she was vice-president.
- President of the Assemblea Nacional Catalana (Catalan National Assembly, ANC) from 2012 to 2015.
- Councillor of Esquerra Republicana in Sabadell (2003-2007).
- Deputy of the Parliament of Catalonia from 2015 to March of 2018.
- President of the Parliament of Catalonia from 2015 to 2017.