Xerta, Baix Ebre 29 May 1955
Former President of the Parliament of Catalonia
The Speaker of the 11th Parliament of Catalonia, Carme Forcadell is a linguist and political activist who has always been committed to the freedom of Catalonia and to the promotion of the use of its language and identity. While she was the President of the pro-independence grass roots organization Assemblea Nacional Catalana (Catalan National Assembly–ANC), she coordinated the March for Independence and the “Catalonia, a new state of Europe” demonstration of 2012, the Human Chain in 2013 and the Via Catalana in 2014. Despite the lawfare offensive that she had to endure, she remained firm in her convictions and did not waver in her defence of the right of the Parliament of Catalonia to debate. She was remanded in custody on March 23, 2018 and unjustly sentenced to 11 years and 6 months in prison on October 14, 2019 for having defended the right and freedom of parliamentary debate. She was able to take part in the Esquerra Republicana campaign for the February 2021 elections to the Parliament of Catalonia.
- Graduate in Philosophy and Communication Studies (UAB).
- Master’s degree in Catalan Language and Literature (UAB).
- She worked for TVE Catalunya (1979-1982) (Spanish Television – Catalonia) and has collaborated with different media.
- Linguistic standardization coordinator of the Servei d’Ensenyament del Català (Catalan Teaching Service) of the Department of Education of the Government of Catalonia (1992-2004).
- Language, interculturality, and social cohesion adviser of Vallès Occidental (2004-2012).
- She has been a political activist committed to the freedom of Catalonia and to the defence and promotion of the use of the Catalan language.
- A member of the Dignity Commission.
- A member of Òmnium Cultural.
- She has published countless articles and books on language policy, linguistics and identity.
- She was one of the promoters of the Plataforma per la Llengua (Platform for the Language).
- Member of the Plataforma Pel dret a Decidir (Platform for the right to Decide), of which she was vice-president.
- President of the Assemblea Nacional Catalana (Catalan National Assembly, ANC) from 2012 to 2015.
- In 2014 she received the Joan Blanca Award from the city of Perpinyà in recognition of her commitment to defending Catalan culture and identity.
- In 2017 she published an article in the digital and printed versions of The New York Times entitled “Defending Freedom in Catalonia”.
- Councillor of Esquerra Republicana in Sabadell (2003-2007).
- Deputy of the Parliament of Catalonia from 2015 to March of 2018.
- President of the Parliament of Catalonia from 2015 to 2017.