Madrid 12 March 1971
Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, political prisoner
Raül Romeva is an economist and doctor in Institutional Relations. He has a large personal curriculum of pacifism and non-violence militancy. He has worked for UNESCO of Bosnia and Herzegovina and for Intermón-Oxfam as a coordinator of campaigns of disarmament and prevention of armed conflicts. From 2004 to 2014 he was a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) and vice-president of the group Greens/EFA for five years. He was considered the most active politician in the European Parliament, with more than 1.600 speeches. He was head of list for Junts pel Sí in the elections of 2015 at the Parliament of Catalonia and was Minister of Foreign Affairs, Institutional Relations and Transparency. In the present, he is a political prisoner since March 23, 2018, when he entered in prison for having defended democracy and organizing a referendum. He had already been in prison for a month on November 2017.
- Graduate in Economic Sciences (UAB).
- PhD in Institutional Relations (UAB).
- He participated in initiatives of support to refugees in refugee camps of Croatia during the conflict of Bosnia and Herzegovina (1993-1994).
- Investigator about peace and disarmament at the UNESCO Center of Catalonia (1994-1998).
- He has been a professor of Institutional Relations in the Autonomous University of Barcelona from 1994 to 2002.
- He worked for UNESCO of Bosnia and Herzegovina (1995-1996) as a responsible of the educative and promotional program of the program Culture of Peace.
- He has been an electoral consultant of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) for the elections in Bosnia and Herzegovina of the years 1996 and 1997.
- Coordinator of disarmament and prevention of armed conflicts campaigns of Intermón-Oxfam (1998-1999).
Author of several books, both fiction and political essay.
- Member of the European Parliament representing Iniciativa per Catalunya Verds (ICV) from 2004 to 2014.
- Vice-president of the group Greens/EFA in the European Parliament for five years.
- Deputy of the Parliament of Catalonia since 2015. Reelected in 2017 with the candidature ERC-Catalunya Sí.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs, Institutional Relations and Transparency of the Government of Catalonia in the eleventh legislature.