Pineda de Mar, Maresme 16 November 1982
President of the Catalan Generalitat Government
National Coordinator of Esquerra Republicana and President of the Catalan Generalitat Government
- Graduate in Law from the Open University of Catalonia (UOC).
- Master’s degree in Economic History from the University of Barcelona.
- He has extended his training with studies in public policies for economic development at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
- Studying for a PhD in Economic History at the University of Barcelona, deferred due to his exclusive dedication to government duties.
- He has worked in a law firm specialized in legal advice for companies and public administrations.
- He has collaborated as a researcher with the Ignasi Villalonga Institute of Economics and Business, and he has been an associate professor at the University of Perpignan.
- Member of Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya (ERC) since 2000, and of Joventuts d’Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya, the Republican Youth wing, since 1998.
- National spokesman of Joventuts d'Esquerra Republicana (JERC) from 2003 to 2007.
- Member of the National Executive of ERC from 2003 to 2010, where he has carried out several responsibilities. At this moment, he is the Deputy President.
- Deputy of the Parliament of Catalonia from 2006 to 2016.
- Councillor of Pineda de Mar from 2011 to 2018.
- Secretary for the Economy during the eleventh legislature.
- Vice President of the Government and Minister of Economy and Finance (2018-2021), after the elections to the Parliament of Catalonia in December 2017, imposed by the Spain’s application of Constitution Article 155. Mr Aragonés was the youngest ever Vice-President of Catalonia.
- On 21 May 2021, he was sworn in as the 132nd President of the Generalitat Government as the result of the February 2021 elections to the Parliament of Catalonia in which Esquerra Republicana won 33 seats, tied in first place with the PSC. For the first time in history, pro-independence exceeded 50% of the votes.