Barcelona 11 April 1969
Deputy of the Parliament of Catalonia for Barcelona
The President of Esquerra Republicana is a holder of a PhD in History of Economic Thought and a professor. He was the Vice-president of the Government of Catalonia and Minister of the Economy and Finance in the last legislature, as well as mayor of Sant Vicenç dels Horts from 2011 to 2015. Since he was elected as head of the party in 2011, he has fought for Esquerra to become an organization open to people coming from different ideologies, origins and trajectories, but with a common objective: the construction of a Catalan Republic. At the moment and since November 2, 2017, he is in prison for having complied with the democratic mandate that came out of the referendum of self-determination of Catalonia on the 1st of October 2017.
- He studied Economics at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB). Graduate in Modern and Contemporary History (UAB, 1996) and doctor in History of Economic Thought (UAB, 2002).
- Research stay at the Vatican Secret Archives and the Vatican Apostolic Library (January-July 1998).
- Professor at the University of Holguín (Cuba) and researcher at the Provincial History Archive at the Casa de Iberoamérica (Ibero-American House) of the same city (January-February 1999).
- He was a professor at the Autonomous University of Barcelona and has been linked to the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, the Faculty of Economics and Business Sciences, the Faculty of Translation and Interpreting, the Faculty of Communication Studies and the Faculty of Political Science and Sociology.
- He was one of the promoters of the platform Sobirania i Progrés (Sovereignty and Progress).
- Author and co-author of more than a dozen books. Most recent ones: Camí de Sicília. L’expansió Mediterrània de Catalunya and Les proclames de sobirania de Catalunya.
- Member of Esquerra Republicana since the beginning of 2011.
- President of ERC since 2011.
- Head of list for the European elections of May 26, 2019.
- Councillor of Sant Vicenç dels Horts (2007-2011).
- MEP of Esquerra Republicana in the European Free Alliance (2009-2011).
- Mayor of Sant Vicenç dels Horts from 2011 to 2015.
- Deputy of the Parliament of Catalonia since 2012. Reelected in 2015 and 2017.
- Vice-President of the Government of Catalonia and Minister of the Economy and Finance of the eleventh legislature.